Friday, August 22, 2014

The quote I live by

     Growing up, and even still today, many amazing opportunities and some overwhelming obstacles have seemed to fall onto my lap. The problem is that I have been too afraid to overcome the obstacles and even more afraid to accept many of the opportunities. I've been afraid of failure, afraid of success, and afraid of the unknown. Because of these fears, I have turned to inspirational quotes. There are many good ones out there. Quotes relating to sports, fashion, chocolates... you know the ones I mean. However, I wanted a quote that related more to my life and my particular fears. So, I decided to make one up. I have a fear of the ocean. I think it is a valid fear. I am sure alot of us watch shark week and can understand, even to the smallest degree, my fear of the ocean. Much like life, the ocean can be a deep, dark, stormy, dangerous, violent, and lonely place. However, I decided to face my fear and try my hand at scuba diving. After a brief panic attack, I swam alongside some of the most beautiful fish in the sea. After that, I spent a year volunteering at an amazing aquarium on the California coast, and have since learned that the ocean can be a vast and wondrous place full of amazing opportunity for growth, discovery, immense fun and learning. For these reasons, I have written my own quote, which, with any stroke of extraordinary luck, will grace the pages of a mortarboard one day. Here she is, the quote I live by....... "Look not into the depths of the ocean with fear but with the wonder of what's within." -Rachel Taylor.  Don't look at obstacles or opportunities in life with overwhelming fear and self doubt. Look at them as a means of discovery, self exploration, and playful curiosity. So go, dive into life and see what she has to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment